Frames and Games

I’m posting this now since the internet in my room has decided to stop working….

After class, I was remembering things that we had discussed about McCloud’s comic. I liked how McCloud appeared directly in the comic and was talking to us. I felt like he was more personal by addressing us rather than just ignoring us. However, I feel like this made McCloud feel like a character. He is only comparable to authors that speak directly to the readers. While other authors might display a similar message regarding frames, I felt like McCould was most successful by physically putting a frame in the picture and describing it….instead of other authors who verbally just describe the computer frame. The computer frame is a hard concept because we are blocked from seeing it. We have aspects of our computers that are more relatable to other things that make the screen more relatable. For example, we have our desktop with a start or tool menu. This helps to not only direct us to other parts of the computer, but reminds us of a control panel like a television changer remote control. This whole desktop flattens everything to one image in a non-3D way that makes it hard to see the potential of the computer screen.

Compared to McCloud’s comic, article for today was not as enjoyable but still was interesting . In the article, I particularly liked how it referred to films and relates it to experiences on the computer. I also liked the section related to suspending yourself from reality through the computer. It might be because I have never played games like World of Warcraft, but I felt like this article gave me insight on why people play such games.

Published in:New Media Studies Class |on March 18th, 2008 |2 Comments »

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

2 Responses to “Frames and Games”

1. » Frames and Games Intro to New Media Studies, Spring 2008 Says:

[…] Original post by mere […]

2. The 411 on Frame Changers » Blog Archive » ‘frame changer’ on the web Says:

[…] http://mere.umwblogs.org/2008/03/18/frames-and-games/This helps to not only direct us to other parts of the computer, but reminds us of a control panel like a television changer remote control. This whole desktop flattens everything to one image in a non-3D way that makes it hard to see … […]