Deschooling by Destructuring

Illich made a lot of interesting comments in “Deschooling Society”.  I primarily liked his discussion about the problems with schools these day.  I agree that people learn practical knowledge and knowledge essentials just by going through everyday life.  I feel like the most difficult part about schooling is how you are forced to conform to a structure.  For example, tests that require you to spit back the information just as the teacher has taught them to you.  This prevents students from grasping the information and relating them to other things or new ideas.  I really liked Illich’s line: “we can depend on self-motivated learning instead of employing teachers to bribe or compel a student to find the time and the will to learn.”  I think that it is true that when people become interested in the material that they are learning they have more motivation.  We were actually discussing this concept in my business class today. We were talking about theories and techniques that managers use in companies to get their workers to do what they want.  In class we were discussing how one company we studied gave workers stock options after they worked for one year.  According to my teacher, this was a bribe given by the owner.  According to some of my classmates, having a say in the company helped to further motivate the workers.  Wherever people find their motivation, it is important that they find it…whether its in the classroom or at the work place.

Published in:New Media Studies Class |on March 24th, 2008 |1 Comment »

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

One Response to “Deschooling by Destructuring”

1. Jacqui Says:

Great thoughts Mere! Okay this is a bit off the Illich concept itself but your comment on business strategies was really intriguing and definitely relates to the whole ‘self-motivated’ thing. (Sorry if I sound spacey in this) I used to work at Geico and I still know alot of people there. Geico has this thing where every year the employees get a percentage of the total profit that the company as a whole made. It is a huge incentive for people because its basically a bonus for everyone -whatever level your at in the company. This not only encouraged people to stay at the company versus finding another opportunity (I called it the black hole) but also to work harder at ‘selling’ insurance to people calling in because that would raise their potential bonus.
    To your previous statements about education basically producing drones, I can see what you mean. While I fortunately have not succumbed to being a drone, it was developing into that until I met an English teacher in high school that encouraged students to make something new out of the old. That is why I chose English as my major, its a gateway to more.